ANC 4A is recruiting members for its new Design Review Committee. As a member of this committee, you will have input on the design and planning for many of the future projects that will affect our neighborhoods. If you have expertise in this area, please continue reading below for details on how to apply.
Design Review Committee Complete Text
At its regular public meeting on Tuesday, June 6, 2017, ANC 4A adopted a resolution establishing new procedures and a timetable for recruiting members of its new Special Committee on Design Review.
The key elements of the resolution are:
- That the Commission formally announces the formation of the Committee and establishes a schedule and procedures for recruitment and appointment of the Committee Chairperson and members.
- That the Commission finds that the schedule for recruitment and appointment of Committee members specified in R4A-17-0501 is not practical due to the fact that the Commission is not scheduled to meet again until September 5, 2017. The Commission therefore determines that, notwithstanding the provisions of Resolution 4A-17-0501, the application period for recruitment of the Chair of the Committee and Committee members shall be from the day following the adoption of this resolution through July 31, 2017.
- That applications to serve as Chair or as a member shall be submitted to the Office Manager through the Commission office email or by mail or hand-delivery to the Commission office, 7820 Eastern Avenue N.W., Washington D.C. 20012. The Office Manager shall ensure that all applications timely received are forwarded to all Commissioners as soon as possible.
- That interviews of candidates for the Chair of the Committee shall be conducted during the month of August, 2017 on a schedule to be determined at the beginning of the month of August. Interviews shall be conducted by as many Commissioners who wish to participate.
- That interviews of candidates interested in serving as Committee members (other than as Chair) shall be conducted during the month of August, 2017 on a schedule to be determined at the beginning of the month of August
- That the Chair of the Committee and members of the Committee shall be appointed by the Commission at its regular public meeting on Tuesday, September 5, 2017. The appointments shall be by majority vote according to the procedure specified below.
That the Commission establishes the following policies and procedures regarding the appointment of the Chair and Committee members:
- The Chairperson of the Committee may be either a commissioner or a resident of the Commission area.
- The Chairperson shall be appointed by majority vote of the Commission at its September 5, 2017 meeting. The term of the Chairperson shall continue until her/his successor is appointed.
- Committee members shall be appointed by majority vote of the Commission at its September 5, 2017 meeting according to the following procedure:
- Each applicant for membership shall be voted upon individually.
- If the number of applicants is nine or fewer, each applicant receiving a majority vote shall be appointed.
- If the number of applicants exceeds nine, they shall be voted upon in an order determined by the drawing of lots. If the number of applicants receiving a majority vote exceeds eight, applicants number nine and more shall draw lots to determine whether they receive appointment.
- In the event of a tie vote for applicants who exceed eight majority vote recipients, the winner will be determined by the drawing of lots.
- Committee members shall serve for the period of one year dated from September 5, 2017 to September 5, 2018, and may volunteer to renew their membership for additional one-year terms without limit.
- Meetings of the Committee shall be announced to the public at least seven calendar days in advance of the meeting day. All Committee meetings shall be open to the public.
The full resolution can be viewed and/or downloaded here:
The resolution establishing the committee with provisions for membership can be viewed and/or downloaded here:
We are looking for residents of ANC 4A who are knowledgeable about zoning, architecture, development, urban and land-use planning, zoning regulations, historic preservation regulations, and residents who have been active in addressing development and historic preservation issues in their neighborhoods. If you are not sure if you reside in ANC 4A, please consult the map on our website by clicking on this link:
If you are interested in serving on this committee, please address an application in the form of an email or letter to the commission office, 4a (or 7820 Eastern Ave NW, 20012) with your resume and a statement of why you wish to serve on the committee, identifying what qualifications and experience you would bring to the committee.
The closing date for applications is Monday, July 31, 2017 12 midnight. All applications will be distributed to all commissioners and each applicant will be voted on in the public meeting on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 following the procedures specified in the resolution quoted above.