DC Department of Parks and Recreation project manager Brent Sisco shared the following update on the Shepherd Park Community Center on Friday.
Dear Shepherd Park Community,
Thank you for your continued support and advocacy of the Shepherd Park Community. Attached, please find the September 2020 construction update for the project. We hope that you have found these monthly updates to be meaningful and informative throughout the project. With construction wrapping up, this will be the last construction update. We will advise if a ribbon-cutting event is scheduled.
Additionally, please also find the attached Q & A document (LINKED HERE) and the link to the video recording (below) from our past community meeting that was held on August 20th. Please note that all items will be placed on the project website. Finally, our programming staff is working on the final edits to the programming survey as discussed in the community meeting and it will be distributed via email to each of you as soon as possible.
Shepherd Park Community Center project includes the addition of a new community center attached to the existing Shepherd Elementary School to include:
- a new cafeteria/cooking kitchen
- multipurpose dining room
- fitness center
- restrooms for both elementary students and adults
New amenities will be used by students during the day with community usage after school hours.
What Happened In August
- Completion of the south retaining wall and final concrete pours for DPR facility entrance
- Completed installation of the Swiss Pearl exterior cladding system
- Completed installation of glass and doors
- Completed installation of new school kitchen equipment
- Completed installation of kitchenette appliances
- Completed installation of fitness room flooring and workout equipment
What to Expect in September
- Completion of the sealing and striping of the new gymnasium flooring
- Completion of gymnasium climbing wall and bleacher installation
- Completion of interior artwork and the exterior mural on the lower retaining wall facing the field
- Completion of courtyard gate installation and dumpster enclosure
- Completion of fitness center mirrors
- Completion of final IT installation (WiFi)
Did you know?
According to WJLA, the rain event that occurred on September 10th broke a daily rainfall record in D.C. that stood for 70 years, with an official total of 2.88″, with some District locations getting up to 4″. While the flash flood left cars stranded and flooded several homes and facilities – it also served as a good test for the new facility, with the bioretention and waterproofing performing exceptionally well. Only recently installed sod was displaced.