Here’s your weekly list of fun, upcoming events!
Here is the current lineup of shows at DC’s temporary drive-in movie theaters:
Events DC/PARKUP RFK Stadium – Moana, Black Panther, Onward, White Chicks, Furious 7, Poetic Justice, Dead Presidents
Tickets are $29 per car (not per person). See their website for showtimes.
Fort Dupont Summer Concert Series – Online!
August 29th: Old School Hip-Hop Night with Big Daddy Kane & DJ Kool (view recording)
September 5th: Jazz in the Park with Maysa, With Cecily (view recording)
September 12th: A Summer Soul with Kindred The Family Soul (view recording)
September 19th: Backyard Band (7:30 pm) (link)
Best of Online Entertainment
This month is bringing us a cornucopia of terrific online entertainment, Grab your remote and a spot on the couch, and enjoy!
- Antebellum (Video on Demand via Apple TV, Amazon Prime, and others) – Successful author Veronica Henley finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality and must uncover the mind-bending mystery before it’s too late. Starring Janelle Monáe.
- All In: The Fight for Democracy (Amazon Prime) – The documentary takes a look at the history, and current activism against voter suppression; barriers to voting that most people don’t even know is a threat to their basic rights as citizens of the United States. Starring Stacey Abrams.
- The Devil All The Time (Netflix) – Sinister characters converge around a young man devoted to protecting those he loves in a postwar backwoods town teeming with corruption and brutality. Starring Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland.
- Ratched (Netflix) – A young nurse at a mental institution becomes jaded, bitter and a downright monster to her patients. This is a prequel series to One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Starring Sarah Paulson.
- The Invisible Man (2020) (HBO Max) – When Cecilia’s abusive ex takes his own life and leaves her his fortune, she suspects his death was a hoax. As a series of coincidences turn lethal, Cecilia works to prove that she is being hunted by someone nobody can see. Starring Elisabeth Moss.
- Gemini Man (2019) (Hulu) – An over-the-hill hitman faces off against a younger clone of himself. Starring Will Smith.
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Do Storytime! (HBO Max) – A collection of live readings and sketch comedy inspired by Mo Willems’ series of Pigeon books. Starring Yvette Nicole Brown, Anthony Anderson, and others.
Real Estate News
Fears and Facts about Buying your First Home
Fear #2: I should wait until the real estate market gets better.
Fact: There is never a wrong time to buy the right home.
Historically, focusing on the market is never the smart approach to buying the right home. Whether right means the right price or the right property for you, waiting to time the market seldom works to your advantage. Trying to time the market in the short term is the easiest way to miss your timing for the long term. Keep in mind, it’s the long-term factors that make real estate a solid investment. All you need to do in the short run is find a good buy (based on your needs and what is currently available) and make sure you have the financial ability to hold it for the long run. Once you’ve made this purchase, the long-term benefits of equity buildup, value appreciation, and tax benefits will always make it a right decision.
While you should always be aware of the fluctuations of local market conditions, real estate tends to be much more stable and rewarding over time than other types of investments. With the help of your real estate agent, you can find a home that meets your criteria and is a smart purchase in any market area and at any time. In the end, there are really only two ways to make money in real estate. You either hit the right timing of the market or you have enough time in the market. That is, you either happen upon the right moment to purchase your home or you hold it long enough for time to make your purchase right. If you miss the first, you most certainly can count on the second.
Excerpt from Your First Home by Gary Keller
Love Living DC is Washington’s #1 real estate team for dependable neighborhood expertise. If you or a friend need a smart, experienced real estate agent to help you buy, sell, or invest in a home in the DC area, give me a call.
Have a great weekend!