Here’s your weekly list of fun, upcoming events!
Best of Online Entertainment
- Godzilla vs. Kong (HBO Max & In Theaters) – The epic next chapter in the cinematic Monsterverse pits two of the greatest icons in motion picture history against one another – the fearsome Godzilla and the mighty Kong – with humanity caught in the balance.
- VerzuzTV – The Isley Brothers vs. Earth, Wind, & Fire (Instagram) – Watch these two titans of American Soul and R&B music come together to celebrate the culture on Easter Sunday at 8:00 pm ET.
- NCAA March Madness (CBS Networks) – The 2021 NCAA Tournament comes to its conclusion in the Final Four. Unbeaten Gonzaga tries to complete the first undefeated season in the sport since 1976. Check out the game schedule at CBSSports.com.
- Concrete Cowboy (Netflix) – A teenager discovers the world of urban horseback riding when he moves in with his estranged father in North Philadelphia. Starring Idris Elba.
- Gangs of London (AMC) – Tells the story of London being torn apart by the turbulent power struggles of its international gangs and the sudden power vacuum that’s created when the head of London’s most powerful crime family is assassinated.
Real Estate News
“Hidden” Costs of Purchasing a Home that Many Buyers Overlook
For most people, buying a home is one of the biggest investments they’ll ever make. While your house budget likely includes the down payment and monthly mortgage payments, there are several often-overlooked costs associated with buying and owning a home—and even if you’re not a first-time buyer, some of these costs may come as a surprise.
Here are a few common costs that many home buyers overlook when calculating their budget:
When making an offer, you’ll typically need to provide earnest money in order to show the sellers that you’re serious about wanting to purchase the home. While the amount of the earnest money deposit can vary, it’s often around $500-$1,000. This amount is usually applied to the purchase price—but if the sale falls through due to an issue on your end, there’s a chance that you will lose this deposit.
The amount you’ll pay in fees at the closing will also vary, but usually ranges from 2-5% of the home’s value. Closing costs may include title insurance, mortgage origination fees, surveys, and much more, depending on your market and lender.
Private mortgage insurance (PMI)
If your down payment is less than 20% of your home’s purchase price, your lender will generally require you to have PMI. While PMI payments typically only cost 0.5-1% of the loan amount each year, this can quickly add up to thousands of dollars in extra expenses.
Mortgage loan interest
When determining the interest rate for your mortgage loan, lenders take your credit score into account—and if your score is on the lower end, you may end up paying thousands of dollars in additional interest over the life of the loan. Therefore, taking time to improve your credit score before purchasing a home can help you save a substantial amount of money over time.
Love Living DC is Washington’s #1 real estate team for dependable neighborhood expertise. If you or a friend need a smart, experienced real estate agent to help you buy, sell, or invest in a home in the DC area, give me a call.
Have a great weekend!